Aggtelek National Park - Treasures and adventures
Did you know …
– Aggtelek National Park was originally designated primarily in order to conserve its inanimate natural assets?
– It is the only World Heritage Site in Hungary to gain the coveted designation in the natural (as opposed to cultural) heritage category?
– At 16 miles, Baradla-Domica is the longest cave system in Hungary, and at 62 feet, Csillagvizsgáló (literally “Stargazer”) is the tallest stalagmite?
– Th is is the only place where the protected golden-drop grows, a plant so rare it is listed in the International Red Data Book?
– Th is is the designated site of gene preservation of the Hungarian stock of the ancient and distinctive Hucul breed of mountain horse.
Demonstration sites and Nature trails
Baradla Cave: 1, 2, 4, 5 & 7-hour cave tours graded from easy to diffi cult; Open:1st April to 30th September 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and 1st October to 31st March 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Rákóczi Cave: cave of pea shaped stones and crystal clear lakes. Open: 1st April to 30th September 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and 1st October to 31st March 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Vass Imre Cave: special dripstones. Open:1st April to 30th September 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and 1st October to 31st March 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Béke Cave, Kossuth Cave and Meteor Cave: adventure tour for small groups by appointment. Guided land tours at Jósvafő, Aggtelek and Mohos-tavak at Kelemér.
Nature trails: Baradla 7.5 km, Tohonya-Kuriszlán 10 km, Fürkész 1.5 km, Szádvár 4.5 km, Bódva-völgy 2.5 km, “In Harmony with Nature” 4 km. Kúria Study Centre: land programs, lectures on environmental protection, open air school programs.
H-3759 Aggtelek, Baradla oldal 1. Tel.: +36 48/503-000
Permanent exhibitions, Nature trails in Zemplén Area
Land house at Bodrogkováralja
Nature trail at Regéc Várhegy: 1 km
Nature trail by canoe at Bodrogzug: 5 km