Esztergom is the seat of the Roman Catholic Primate of Hungary. The Cathedral is the largest church in the country. Rebuilt in the 19th century in classical style, it has the largest altar-piece in the world painted on a single piece of canvas. The famous Bakócz Chapel was built of red marble at the beginning of the 16th century. The Cathedral Treasury holds the richest collection of Hungarian ecclesiastical treasures. The Romanesque Royal Palace with the royal oratory, the frescoed castle chapel and the rose-window are in the neighbourhood of the Basilica. The Christian Museum is located in the Primate's Palace. Treasures of medieval Hungarian art and early Renaissance Italian paintings are preserved here.
is rich with natural and historic attractions. There are sites at three heights: the Main Street, the Solomon Tower and the Castle on the top of the hill. The latter offers a wonderful view of the Danube Bend. The Palace of the great Renaissance ruler, King Mathias (1458-1490), was ornamented with red marble fountains. In a marvellous environment, this huge two-story building was one of the most luxurious royal residences of its time. The Renaissance court of the palace, and the Hercules Fountain that streams wine on holidays were authentically reconstructed by archaeologists. Nearby the five-story Solomon Tower is among the oldest and most intact Romanesque dwelling towers of Central Europe. Battle scenes are re-enacted in its yard during summer.